Current Conditions

Light Snow
-7.1°C

Three blazes keep Vernon fire crews hopping on weekend

Vernon Fire Rescue Services fire fighters braved the sub-zero temperatures to put out 3 blazes over the weekend including this one at a cabin on Eastside Road near Ellison Provincial Park on Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013.
Image Credit: Vernon Fire Rescue
December 10, 2013 - 8:27 AM

VERNON – Vernon fire fighters were busy staying warm as the fought a three structure fires in below zero temperatures over the weekend.

Around noon on Saturday, neighbour’s reported smoke coming from the eaves of a summer cabin on Eastside Road near the Outback Resort, south of Ellison Provincial Park.

Fire crews arrived to find a small fire burning in one of the cabin’s bedrooms.

No one was on the property and the fire isn’t suspicious in nature.

Captain Doug Imrich with the Vernon Fire Department says it appears the cabin was a summer home. It didn’t have a hydro hookup.

Early Sunday morning, fire fighters quickly put out a blaze in an en suite bathroom in a home at 1207 28th Ave. at the top of East Hill.

A family of four and their pets made it out of the house safely. They are in the care of Emergency Social Services.

“The residents say they had some candles burning in the en suite which fits with the pattern of the fire,” captain Imrich says.

He says there is minimal damage to the house, except for the bathroom.

The family should be back in their home in a few days once the restoration crew cleans up and repairs the fire damage.

Imrich reminds people not to leave candles unattended.

Investigators will have a look for the cause of the two fires on Monday, along with a third blaze at a suite in an apartment building in Mission Hill Friday night.

A fire in a summer cabin on Eastside Road near Ellison Provincial Park on Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013 is not suspicious in nature.
A fire in a summer cabin on Eastside Road near Ellison Provincial Park on Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013 is not suspicious in nature.
Image Credit: Google Maps

Fire crews put out a small blaze, likely started by unattended candles, in an en suite bathroom at this home on 28th Avenue on Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013.
Fire crews put out a small blaze, likely started by unattended candles, in an en suite bathroom at this home on 28th Avenue on Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013.
Image Credit: Google Maps

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2013
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular kamloops News
  • Comments

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile