Fire destroys garage

Image Credit: (SOURCE: Kelowna Fire Department)

Kelowna firefighters raced to the scene of a garage fire yesterday morning.

When crews arrived just after 11 a.m. to the 567 Clifton Rd. home, flames and smoke were coming from the soffits and the attached garage was fulling engulfed. There was nobody inside the house. Three engines, one rescue and one command unit along with 15 firefighters were sent to bring the blaze under control, as well as BCAS, RCMP and Fortis Gas and Electrical.

The main fire destroyed the garage and car, and spread to the attic space of the 1400 square foot home. The attic was severely damaged while the rest of the home received water and smoke damage.

Early findings by the fire investigator say residents were working on the car's fuel system when a container with a small amount of gas in it was ignited by an electric space heater situated next to it. Residents left the scene momentarily to search for parts. The fire began while they were away. Damage is estimated in the $200,000 range.

The two residents are staying with relatives and have house insurance.


letters-to-the-editor
CANNINGS: The unaffordability of post secondary education
  OPINION A couple of weeks ago, students returned to colleges and universities across Canada after a long summer break. They have been working hard for months to earn enough to pay for their education, but these days t

Top News