May 08, 2015 - 2:40 PM
KELOWNA – Firefighters put out a hedge fire between two homes in Kelowna this morning.
Kelowna Fire Rescue was called to the blaze in the cedar hedge along a chain link fence at 541 Harrop Ave. in Rutland at about 11:15 a.m., May 8.
The flames spread to a deck at one of the homes. It suffered some damage and a canvas gazebo on it was destroyed.
A man was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene. He and another resident were trying to put the burning hedge out when crews arrived.
Platoon captain Tim Light says the cause of the fire was a spark from a “carelessly” discarded cigarette or a spark from a grinder.
To contact the reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-718-0428. To contact the editor, email email@example.com or call 250-718-2724.
— This story was updated at 2:34 p.m., Friday May 8, 2015 to add new information from Fire Rescue.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2015