May 21, 2013 - 7:34 AM
A coroner's investigation determined staff at Summerland Seniors Village were not required to check on an independent living resident who became ill and died.
A probe into the Dec. 7, 2012 death of Alfredo Bonaldi, 91, found he died of respiratory failure brought on by salmonella poisoning and damage to multiple organs.
A B.C. Coroner Service report states Bonaldi was an independent living resident at the seniors' village who required no assistance or supervision. He chose to use the catering service provided and would eat lunch and dinner in the dining area.
He appeared well on Nov. 21 when he ate dinner with his family. He did not return to the dining room for the next two days but non-nursing staff did speak with him and there was no indication of illness. On Nov. 24 he was not seen at meals or the residence.
On Nov. 25 a family member found him ill and lying on his bed. He was taken to hospital and died on Dec. 7.
The coroner service learned his suite had two telephones and call bells in the living room and the bathroom. Bonaldi also refused an electronic pendant he could use to call for help.
Summerland Seniors Village in response to Bonaldi's death has a new policy for missing tenants. Staff will check on any resident if even one meal is missed. Interior Health investigated the facility and monitored the facility.
The coroner service has made no recommendations.
To contact a reporter for this story, email Shannon Quesnel at firstname.lastname@example.org, call 250-488-3065 or tweet @shannonquesnel1
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2013