Current Conditions

Clear
-8.4°C

BOBBITT: Forensic officer gives crime scene evidence

September 02, 2014 - 5:12 PM

PENTICTON - Crown prosecutors called four witnesses to the stand, including a forensic identification officer, this afternoon during the dangerous offender hearing and sentencing of alleged sexual assault offender David Bobbitt.

The hearing reconvened in Penticton Supreme Court Tuesday after a two month hiatus. Crown prosecutor Nashina Devji called witnesses to the stand in relation to a 2007 alleged sexual assault on Bobbitt’s ex-girlfriend.

Today’s witnesses included Const. Jeff Cranton, the officer who took an official statement from the victim back in 2007 at the Penticton Police Detachment. His colleague, Cpl. Warren Kraft also gave evidence from the crime scene—Bobbitt’s trailer.

Kraft, a member of Penticton’s Forensic Identification Section took photos of the victim’s injuries, including marks and bruises on her face, neck and arms. He also took photos of the clothes she wore during the attack—the blood stains on her white shirt caught Kraft’s eye and warranted a photo, he said.

It was “obviously not part of the fabric,” he said.

He found more blood stains at Bobbitt’s residence. Tests conducted with “hemo sticks” (chemically-reactive sticks that change colour when exposed to blood) revealed blood stains on the floor and bed sheets. Kraft said all blood stains appeared to be dry.

Also testifying was the cab driver, Marlo Riley, who drove the victim to a friend’s house after the alleged attack. He recalled picking her up from Aloha Charlie’s cafe on that day in February. His statements were consistent with those the victim gave earlier in the hearing.

The hearing will continue Wednesday, Sept. 3, 2014 in Penticton Supreme Court before Justice Peter Rogers, who will ultimately decide whether Bobbitt is a dangerous offender—a person considered to be an extreme threat to the public based on a longstanding history of violence.

Rogers will also determine an appropriate sentencing for Bobbitt in relation to a 2012 incident involving the sexual assault and unlawful confinement of a young woman and her toddler in Bobbitt’s second-hand store in Penticton. He pleaded guilty to seven charges in April 2013.

To contact the reporter for this story, email Meaghan Archer at marcher@infotelnews.ca or call 250-488-3065. To contact the editor, email mjones@infotelnews.ca or call 250-718-2724.

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular kamloops News
  • Comments

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile