THOMPSON-OKANAGAN - Rather than spending Father’s Day at home, there are many events to take Dad to this weekend. No matter what his hobby is – from fishing, to antique cars, rodeos, football and more – there’s an event for each Dad on Sunday, June 15.
Weather throughout the region is set to be rainy and cloudy on the weekend, but no rain is expected for Father’s Day. Sunday will be cloudy, with lower temperatures.
The province is waiving fishing fees and licensing during the father’s day weekend.
Sunday, June 15:
- The Do it for Dad run for prostate cancer will happen at the B.C. Wildlife Park. The event will feature a concert and feedings for bears, cougars, and more. Visit www.bczoo.org for more information.
- BC Lions are currently training at the Hillside Stadium in Kamloops. The Sunday night practice will take place at 7 p.m.
- Take a wine to vine tour at Privato Winery. Complimentary wine tasting is available for Dads. $10 per person. Tours will take place at 11 a.m. , 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. For more information: www.privato.ca
- The Heffley Creek Community Hall will host a pancake breakfast at the vintage car “show n’shine.” Doors open at 9 a.m.
- Ashcroft’s historic rodeo will run throughout the weekend. Attendees can expect concerts, bull riding, beer gardens and a rodeo dance.
For more information: www.ashcroftrodeo.ca
- Take on the father's day fishing derby at Pinantan Lake. Register at Legend's Used Books or at the event itself at 7 a.m. Cost is $16 per adult, 16 and over teens are $16, kids under 15 can fish for free. The grand prize is a brand new rod, reel and case valued at over $300. For details contact Marg at 250-573-7666.
- Go target shooting at Novelty Fun Target Father's Day Shootout, 7385 Sullivan Valley Rd. near Heffley Creek. Targets will be balloons and golf balls. Events are $3 each. Prizes will be available.
- Get two tickets to the gun (and antique show) at Lumby’s Pat Duke Memorial Arena. Show, trade, or sell your antique wares. Event runs from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For tables and information, contact Otto Andersen at 250-549-1355.
- Spend the day at Davison Orchard’s. There will be a BBQ, other café fare, a craft station and a sandcastle competition. For more information: www.davisonorchards.ca
- Go for a swim at the downtown Recreation Centre. Dad can swim for free.
- Grab a piece of cake and shave a sheep at the O’Keefe Ranch. The location is celebrating its 147th birthday. Event to take place at 2:30 p.m.
Saturday, June 14:
- Make a t-shirt themed card for Dad on Saturday, June 14 at the Kelowna Museum
- Stay around the lake for the second annual Kelowna catch-and-release fishing derby. Over $15,000 in prizes will be available, including a $4,000 prize for the largest rainbow trout caught. Event starts at 1352 Water St. at 6:30 a.m.
Sunday, June 15:
- Ancient Hills Estate Winery is hosting a father’s day show and tell. Bring a family heirloom or artefact to share a story with the group. Best story wins a bottle of wine. Event starts at 3 p.m.
For more information, email: Rebecca@lifestoryfilm.ca
- Head down to the marina with your boat or car to check out face painting, balloon twisting, prizes. From there you can take a look at all the vintage cars at the City Park “show and shine” car show. Marina event starts at 10 a.m. with the car show beginning at 11 a.m.
- Go for a fancy coursed dinner at Quail’s Gate winery. Meet the team, take a winery tour and enjoy your meal between the grape vines. Cost is $150 per person
For more information: www.quailsgate.com
Sunday, June 15:
- Board the SS Sicamous Paddle Wheeler for a pirate themed father’s day party. Come dressed up as a pirate. $5 donation for entry. Free golf for Dad’s at the Loco Landing golf park.
- Lake City Casinos is hosting a high stakes Poker Tournament at 1 p.m. $200 buy in with a chance to win a $4,950 prize pool. Enter for a $500 father's day draw. Draws to take place every hour from 1 - 3 p.m. and again from 7 - 8 p.m.
- The Peach City Bridge Tournament will take place at the Penticton Trade and Convention Centre. Watch competitors take each other on. Event starts at 9:30 a.m.
- Go to open mic night at VooDoo’s. Watch local performers or try performing yourself! Event starts at 7 p.m.