Young Kamloops girl moved out of intensive care after suspected CO poisoning - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
15.1°C

Young Kamloops girl moved out of intensive care after suspected CO poisoning

Chris Walton says his nine-year-old daughter Micaela is making a slow recovery at B.C. Children's Hospital in Vancouver. The young girl was airlifted by B.C. Ambulance after a suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a Shuswap Campground that left her mother, Lucy Beaurain, dead over the May long weekend and left her in serious condition.
Image Credit: Chris Walton
May 23, 2019 - 7:00 AM

KAMLOOPS — A nine-year-old Kamloops girl is slowly recovering after suffering from a suspected carbon monoxide poisoning incident over the Victoria Day long weekend at a Shuswap campground.

The girl’s father, Chris Walton, was working in Aberdeen when he got a call at noon on Saturday, May 18, that his daughter, Micaela, had been airlifted to B.C. Children’s Hospital in Vancouver and her mother, Lucy Beaurain, had died after a suspected carbon monoxide poisoning while in their tent at Sandy Point Campground in Salmon Arm.

RCMP media relations Cpl. Chris Manseau says the Salmon Arm RCMP detachment responded to a call at 10 a.m. at the Sandy Point Beach Campground. When officers attended they found wood burning inside a pot in a tent.

He says it’s likely the occupants of the tent were using it as a source of heat and the fumes from the pot deprived them of oxygen. 

Walton says Micaela was recently moved from the intensive care unit today, May 22, and into the children’s ward.

“She’s not in critical condition anymore but she’s still not mobile or anything like that,” Walton says.

He says he and Beaurain had been separated since Micaela was an infant. He says Micaela had a close relationship with her mother and the two would often go camping with friends whenever they could.

Since arriving in Vancouver, Walton hasn’t left Micaela’s side and has solely been focused on supporting her during her extensive recovery.

“She’s giving us little smiles, she’s been talking a little bit, responding to all the questions we have been asking her,” he says.

Walton says he isn’t sure what to make of the incident.

“I guess her mom was trying to warm the tent up, I’m not too sure of the details as to why it was left on or anything like that but when their (friends) realized they didn’t come out of the tent the next morning that’s when they found (Lucy),” he says.

Walton says Beaurain was working at an Early Childhood Education centre in Kamloops.

“She was a great mom. She was always there for the kids and very supportive of them,” he says.

Walton says he’s received support all over the community including from Micaela’s school, his work and from his parents.

The Chase Fire Rescue Association will be hosting a car wash fundraiser for Micaela and her family on Saturday, May 25, in Chase in the parking lot of PharmaChoice.

Go here for more information.

Micaela, 9, was left in serious condition after a suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. Her dad, Chris Walton, says she was recently moved out of intensive care.
Micaela, 9, was left in serious condition after a suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. Her dad, Chris Walton, says she was recently moved out of intensive care.
Image Credit: Chris Walton

To contact a reporter for this story, email Karen Edwards or call (250) 819-3723 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2019
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular kelowna News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile