Suspended sentence for Osoyoos homeless man caught at the dump after hours
Image Credit: Shutterstock
January 17, 2017 - 6:30 PM
PENTICTON - An Osoyoos man received a suspended sentence after getting caught going through the garbage at the Osoyoos landfill.
Noel Richard Hansen, 41, entered a guilty plea to one count of breaking and entering with intent to commit an offence in Penticton court yesterday, Jan. 16.
Hansen’s charge stemmed from an incident that took place around 9 p.m. last June 24 at the Osoyoos landfill, Crown prosecutor Kurt Froehlich told court. Police were called to the landfill when it was reported two men were seen picking up items at the dump.
They arrived to find Hansen and another man sorting through the dump. A number of metal items and 20 automotive batteries were stacked as though being collected, near a large hole in the dump’s perimeter fence. A Honda Civic was parked about 30 feet away from the hole in the fence.
Hansen told police the two were looking for items to take back to the campground they were residing in. He was taken back to the detachment and released on a promise to appear.
Froehlich asked Judge Meg Shaw for a suspended sentence along with 12 months probation and 15 hours community service.
Defence lawyer James Pennington told court his client had been homeless at the time of the incident, and had gone to the dump on the urgings of his accomplice. He said his client did not pick up batteries or steel, but was instead looking for returnable cans and bottles.
Pennington said the hole in the fence had been in existence for a year prior to the incident involving his client, and remained unrepaired today. He said his client now lived at an Osoyoos motel where he exchanges labour for accommodation.
Judge Shaw agreed to Crown’s request for a suspended sentence, 15 hours community service and a 12 month probationary period. Hansen will have to keep away from the Osoyoos dump as well.
To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad or call 250-488-3065 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.
We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2017