Yordany Alvarez's first-half goal lifts Real Salt Lake to win over Toronto FC | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy

Yordany Alvarez's first-half goal lifts Real Salt Lake to win over Toronto FC

Toronto FC forward Danny Koevermans (left) and Real Salt Lake defender Aaron Maund battle for the ball during first half MLS action in Toronto on Saturday June 29, 2013. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Frank Gunn
June 29, 2013 - 12:13 PM

TORONTO - Yordany Alvarez's goal right on the stroke of halftime was the only goal of the game as Real Salt Lake beat Toronto FC 1-0 on Saturday in Major League Soccer action.

Javier Morales had the ball in the TFC penalty area and knocked it back out to Alvarez on the right side who unleashed a venomous right-footed shot that left Toronto goalkeeper Joe Bendik rooted on the line as he watched the ball fly in just inside the post.

Up to that point, Toronto had created the better of the chances and looked more likely to score but Alvarez silenced the 20,841 in attendance at BMO Field.

The loss ended Toronto's three-game unbeaten streak come to an end. TFC is still winless at BMO Field in MLS competition since July 18, 2012 when they beat the Colorado Rapids.

Three times Toronto nearly had an equalizer in second half stoppage time but Jeremy Brockie had two close range headers stopped and Steven Caldwell had a shot stopped seconds before the final whistle.

Just two minutes in, Canadian Jonathan Osorio eluded a few Salt Lake defenders before taking a left-footed shot from outside the 18-yard box that just went wide.

Toronto again came calling in the 13th minute when Danny Koevermans found a streaking Bobby Convey through the middle. Convey lunged to get his left foot to the ball but it spun away wide.

Koevermans was making his first start since tearing an ACL almost a year ago. Save for a few heavy touches on the ball, Koevermans put in a good performance getting involved in Toronto's attack while also helping out on defence when needed.

He lasted 54 minutes before being replaced by Luis Silva.

Both teams were reduced to 10-men rosters with 11 minutes remaining when both Tony Beltran for Salt Lake and Doneil Henry were red carded. It was Henry's second ejection of the season.

Beltran had initially fouled Silva before needlessly shoving the Toronto player and Henry then came in and shoved Beltran to the ground.

News from © The Canadian Press, 2013
The Canadian Press

  • Popular penticton News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile