Mexican federal prosecutors open probe of ferry explosion
Tourists and passengers disembark from a ferry on to the wharf on Playa del Carmen, Mexico, Friday, March 2, 2018. Undetonated explosives were found on another ferry that runs between the Caribbean resorts of Playa del Carmen and the island of Cozumel, authorities said, less than two weeks after a blast shook another ferry plying the same route. (AP Photo/Gabriel Alcocer)
March 06, 2018 - 2:55 PM
MEXICO CITY - Mexican federal prosecutors have formally opened their own investigation into an explosion on a tourist ferry last month that injured 26 people.
The Federal Prosecutor's Office says in a Tuesday statement that it is probing the Feb. 21 blast on the Barcos Caribe company's vessel as it was moored in Playa del Carmen with passengers nearby on the dock.
The ferry operated on the route between Playa del Carmen and the resort island of Cozumel. Barcos Caribe has been suspended from operating since shortly after the explosion.
Last week, what appeared to be undetonated explosives were found attached beneath another vessel belonging to the same company. Authorities said it was anchored 500 yards (meters) off Cozumel at the time and had not been in service for over 10 months.
News from © The Associated Press, 2018