A little bit of everything winter weather-wise in the Okanagan this week - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
3.2°C

A little bit of everything winter weather-wise in the Okanagan this week

Image Credit: FILE PHOTO
December 27, 2016 - 12:03 PM

OKANAGAN - As we head toward the New Year, the last few days of 2016 will be a little warmer than average for this time of year.

It will be mainly cloudy with a few flurries this afternoon, Dec. 27, with a high of 0 Celsius, according to Enviroment Canada. The mercury will drop to -3 C overnight.

Expect a mix of sun and cloud tomorrow, with highs around 3 C. The forecast calls for periods of snow overnight Wednesday, with lows of about -3 C.

The forecast calls for clouds and a 40 per cent chance of flurries or rain showers on Thursday, with a high of about 1 C. There is a 60 percent chance of flurries that night with a low of about -3 C.

Friday will be a cloudy day with a high of 0 C and an overnight low around -7 C.

Typically in late December in the Okanagan we see average highs of -2 C and lows of -8 C.

Drivers should be cautious on the highways right now, with the Coquihalla between Hope and Merritt, and Highway 3 from the Kootenay Pass to the Paulson Summitt under a snowfall warning from Environment Canada. Up to 20 centimetres of snow is expected on those sections of highway by the end of the day.

The Trans Canada highway be closed for avalanche control west of Revelstoke for two hours this afternoon, Dec. 27. The highway will be closed with no detours from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.

Current road conditions are available at www.drivebc.ca.

The latest weather warnings and forecasts can be found at Environment Canada's website.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Brendan Kergin or call 250-819-6089 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2016
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular kamloops News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile