Westbank construction projects changing the landscape this summer

Image Credit: Google Streetview

WESTBANK - Expect some traffic delays as four capital improvement projects on Westbank First Nations land get rolling this summer.

Construction on the Sneena Road Overpass Project is underway and should be finished in November. It includes an overpass at Highway 97 and Sneena Road and extension of Sneena Road from Tomat Avenue to Campbell Road, as well as pedestrian and cyclist pathways. Funds toward infrastructure upgrades and costs for streetlights, landscaping and building sidewalks were contributed by WFN.

No official dates were given for improvements on Old Okanagan Highway. The new curbs, sidewalks and streetlights along the stretch from Daimler to Grizzly Road to be installed are expected to improve safety for residents and pedestrians.

A 12,000 square foot WFN Youth Centre and Outdoor Sport Court proposed in 2010 is still in the tender phase, but shovels should hit the dirt later this summer. The 1900 Quail Lane location is adjacent to the WFN Community Services building. Again, WFN contributed to the project, funding 70 per cent of construction costs through general WFN tax revenues, with the other 30 per cent coming from source/member revenues.

Renovation of the third floor of the WFN government office on Highway 97 is already underway. The building will have new offices, a lunch room and council chambers will be relocated and updated.

To contact the reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw at aproskiw@infotelnews.ca or call 250-718-0428. To contact the editor, email mjones@infotelnews.ca or call 250-718-2724.



ALBAS: Unpacking the Cannabis Act
  OPINION Editor, Last week the Liberal Government introduced the much anticipated Marijuana legalization bill, technically known as Bill C-45 “The Cannabis Act”. First let me state that the Liberals c
WALKER: Inventory low in Kelowna Real estate market
  OPINION The latest numbers from the Okanagan Mainline Real Estate Board (OMREB) reveal that inventory (homes on the market) remains low when compared with 2016 and 2015. This is particularly evident when looking at pr

Top News