Trial delayed for B.C. man accused of fatal 2010 speedboat-houseboat crash
(GLYNN BROTHEN / iNFOnews.ca)
February 12, 2015 - 12:55 PM
KAMLOOPS - Concerns about a lack evidence disclosure have prompted a B.C. Supreme Court judge to delay the trial of a man accused in a fatal B.C. boat crash.
Leon Reinbrecht is charged with criminal negligence causing death and criminal negligence causing bodily harm over the July 3, 2010 crash on Shuswap Lake that killed houseboat pilot Ken Brown.
The trial began on Tuesday and has already heard Reinbrecht's speedboat became fully lodged inside the main galley of Brown's houseboat.
Defence lawyer Joe Doyle says issues have arisen during the Crown's pre-trial interviews and he needs more time to review new evidence collected by police as recently as last week.
Crown counsel Neil Flanagan says he’s been trying to keep Doyle in the loop but says prosecutors are not required to have all of their pre-trial interviews done before proceedings start.
B.C. Supreme Court Justice Sheri Donegan has agreed to delay the trial until Feb. 23, with the possibility of adding more time in March.
News from © The Canadian Press, 2015