Current Conditions

Mainly Sunny
23.4°C

Snow possible as cold front moves in

Image Credit: Drive B.C. webcam
November 10, 2014 - 12:20 PM

THOMPSON-OKANAGAN - An Arctic mass of cold air is moving over the region bringing cold temperatures to the region, and as cold as it will get, we still will not be hitting record low temperatures.

Temperatures will reach overnight lows of down to -11 Celsius over the next several days but that is nowhere near the record lows, which occurred in the mid-1950s when temperatures dropped to the -20s.

Highs across the region will hover just below 0 C for the next few days. Normals at this time of year are a high of about 5 C and a low around 0 C.

The cold front is also bringing a chance of snow to the area. In Kamloops expect a 30 per cent chance of precipitation today through Tuesday morning, while Vernon can expect a 60 per cent chance and Kelowna a 40 per cent chance. All three areas will see the snow level lowering to 600 metres during the day as well.

In Penticton the snow level will begin at 800 m today and lower to the valley bottom in the evening, with a 60 per cent chance of precipitation Monday and a 40 per cent chance Tuesday morning.

Snow has already begun accumulating on some mountain passes and highway drivers are regularly being warned of slippery sections and black ice as winter nears. There is a chance of more snow along the Rogers Pass section of Highway 1 and on the Okanagan Connector Monday.

Snow tire regulations are in effect and drivers are reminded to be prepared for extreme weather. All passenger vehicles must be equipped with mud and snow (M+S) tires or tires marked with a mountain and a snowflake from October 1 through the end of March. Commercial trucks must carry tire chains.

Drive B.C. recommends having a winter safety kit in your vehicle as well. This would include a windshield scraper and snow brush, extra windshield washer fluid, flares, first aid kit, shovel and traction aids such as kitty litter, flashlight with extra batteries, battery jumper cables, spare tire, extra clothing and footwear and a fully charged cell phone and charger. Food, blankets, candles and a tow rope are recommended if you are travelling outside of urban areas.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Jennifer Stahn at jstahn@infonews.ca or call 250-819-3723. To contact an editor, email mjones@infonews.ca or call 250-718-2724.

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular kamloops News
  • Comments
  • Body of missing Cache Creek fire chief found
    CACHE CREEK - The body of Clayton Cassidy has been found. Around 10:30 p.m. yesterday, May 27, members of the Ashcroft fire department found his body during a patrol of Cache Creek, accordin
  • TRENDING NOW: Instant karma for angry dog walker
    When crossing a street we all pay attention to a car pulling up to an intersection, but this man seems to get really riled up for some reason. Of course, his threatening behaviour is under c
  • No, Okanagan Lake will not peak this weekend
    If you’re confused about projections for what Okanagan Lake is going to do over the next few weeks, you’re not alone. The City of Penticton issued a media release yesterday, May
  • Trinket hunters blamed for targeting ghost town cemetery in southern B.C.
    COALMONT, B.C. - Someone is digging holes in the cemetery of a ghost town in southern British Columbia and a member of the local historical society believes it's the work of misguided treasure
  • UPDATE: Kamloops teen found
    UPDATE: 9:38 A.M., MAY 28, 2017 RCMP say the 18-year-old has been located. All personal information has been removed. 9:35 A.M., MAY 27, 2017 KAMLOOPS - Kamloops police are looking for a mis
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile