Sauna fire forces apartment building evacuation in Kelowna

Image Credit: iStockphoto.com

KELOWNA – A sauna fire at an apartment complex in Kelowna early this morning was a rude awakening for residents of the multi-storey building.

Firefighters were called to a report of smoke on the third floor of the complex in the 3000 block of Gordon Drive around 4 a.m., Jan. 18. The fire dispatcher told the caller to pull the fire alarm and evacuate the building.

Platoon Capt. Tim Light says in a news release crews found the smoke was coming from a sauna on the first floor. The fire was burning into the wall space.

Crews put out the fire and paramedics cared for a house pet, he says.

No one was hurt during the fire.

To contact the reporter for this story, email Howard Alexander at halexander@infonews.ca. To contact the editor, email mjones@infonews.ca or call 250-718-2724.


don-thompson
THOMPSON: The grand semi-annual adventure
  OPINION Some of our family and friends say we're nuts. They say this because my wife and I load a trailer with two or three horses, two dogs and two cats and drive 5,214 kilometres between horse farms in British C

Top News