November 04, 2013 - 4:13 PM
Royal Canadian Legion and the Army, Navy and Air Force veterans will hold their annual Remembrance Day parades in downtown Kelowna and Rutland respectively on Monday, Nov. 11. Roads will be temporarily closed to accommodate the parades between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m.
Downtown road closures
- Mill Street, from Queensway Avenue to Bernard Avenue
- Bernard Avenue, from Mill Street to Abbott Street
- Abbott Street, from Bernard Avenue to Lawrence Avenue
- Lawrence Avenue, from Abbott Street to Water Street
- Water Street, from Lawrence Avenue to Doyle Avenue
The closures on Mill Street, Bernard Avenue and Abbott Street will be in effect from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. as Royal Canadian Legion veterans march to the Cenotaph in Veendam Gardens in City Park. Following the ceremony, the parade will proceed up Lawrence Avenue to Water Street between 11:30 a.m. and 12 p.m. Parking will be prohibited along all these routes.
Rutland road closures
- Dougall Road North and South, from McIntosh Road to Gray Road
- Gray Road, from Dougall Road South to Pemberton Road
- Pemberton Road, from Gray Road to Rutland Lions Park
Army, Navy and Air Force veterans will walk from Unit 376 on Dougall Road North to the Cenotaph at Rutland Lions Park on Gray Road and back. Motorists can expect minor delays as veterans cross at Highway 33 and Dougall Road before and after the ceremony.
RCMP will provide traffic control along both parade routes.
Kelowna Regional Transit employees will also pay their respects with one minute of silence at 11 a.m. All transit drivers will ensure their buses are safely pulled over to the curb and parked during this period.
Expect minor transit delays in the downtown and Queensway Exchange area between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. Route #2 North end and #9 Shoppers Shuttle board on main transit island during this time as stop beside City Hall will be closed during this period.
For more information about road closures, visit kelowna.ca/roadreport.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2013