May 09, 2014 - 12:45 PM
KELOWNA – Thirteen community organizations received more than $400,000 in gaming grants as part of the province’s Community Gaming Grant Program.
“From lawn bowling to the symphony, each of these organizations make life better, richer, and more fun in the Central Okanagan,” said Premier Christy Clark, MLA for Westside-Kelowna.
The B.C. government awarded grants to the following Kelowna area community organizations:
- Okanagan Symphony Society – Kelowna Branch received $138,000.
- The Kelowna Aqua-Jets Swim Club received $40,800.
- Kelowna Minor Football Association received $40,000.
- Thompson-Okanagan Junior Lacrosse League received $35,000.
- Kelowna Visual and Performing Arts Centre Society received $34,500.
- Kelowna Ski Club received $23,625.
- Kelowna Volleyball Club received $18,720.
- Kelowna Liedertafel Society received $15,000.
- Okanagan Mainline Football Society received $15,000.
- Bumbershoot Children’s Theatre Society received $15,000.
- Winfield Figure Skating Club received $11,025.
- Kelowna Lawn Bowling Club received $9,000.
- Dolyna Ukrainian Cultural Society received $4,500.
“Whether you’re into sports or the arts Kelowna and the Central Okanagan has what you’re looking for,” MLA for Kelowna-Lake Country Norm Letnick said. “This $400,000 contribution will ensure that this continues.”
This grant is awarded under the Arts and Culture Category of the Community Gaming Grant Program, which allows non-profit organizations to apply for provincial gaming revenues from the Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development. Gaming Grants are also awarded in the categories of Public Safety, Environment and Human and Social Services.
“We are fortunate to live in a community replete with arts and cultural organizations whose programs enrich the lives of each and every one of us,” MLA for Kelowna-Mission Steve Thomson said.
In the 2012/13 fiscal year, our government distributed a total of $135 million in gaming grants for eligible community programs and services.
Organizations interested in applying for Community Gaming Grants can find full application information at www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/gaming
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014