Pot oil extraction cause of explosion in Vernon apartment building

Vernon RCMP detachment

VERNON - An apartment fire that sent two men to hospital with serious burns was caused when a marijuana extraction operation exploded, police say.

The occupants, a 21 and a 22-year-old, were badly burned in the fire and remain in hospital. Vernon police are now confirming the Aug. 14 fire was started by a marijuana oil extraction lab the occupants had set up in the Okanagan Avenue apartment. Police continue to investigate the fire and RCMP spokesperson Gord Molendyk says charges are possible.

“This is just another example of the danger that exists when people attempt to extract the oils in an operation such as this,” Molendyk says. “The individuals usually use various types of solvents that create vapours and can lead to serious explosions and fires.”

According to the Vernon fire department, damage was primarily contained to the bathroom area of the unit, and Molendyk says it’s fortunate other residents weren’t affected.

“The added danger in this case is they were in an apartment building that had the potential to harm the many residents that lived there,” Molendyk says.

To contact the reporter for this story, email Charlotte Helston at chelston@infonews.ca or call 250-309-5230. To contact the editor, email mjones@infonews.ca or call 250-718-2724.


letters-to-the-editor
THOMPSON: Two men and the fragility of human life
  OPINION Two men. One, I knew. The other, I never met. While neither realized it, they made me think about the fragility of human life, and how one bad decision can ruin everything. That is why I wrote what you are now

Top News