Car catches fire just hours after they bought it

Two shoppers returning to the car they just bought were shocked to find out it had caught fire while they were inside.

KELOWNA - A woman and her dad got a big surprise while shopping at Orchard Park Mall Monday afternoon. They were paged to return to her vehicle —the car he just bought for her was in flames.

Kelowna Fire Department received the call at around 5:30 p.m. after two security guards noticed flames coming from under the hood of a Dodge Stratus parked in front of Chapters.

When the owner returned to her vehicle, she said her father had just bought if for her from a private seller. They did not appear pleased with the situation and say they plan to ask for their money back.

Capt. Dave Leimert with Kelowna Fire Department says it's surprisingly common for a parked car to ignite.

To contact the reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw at aproskiw@infotelnews.ca or call 250-718-0428. To contact the editor, email mjones@infotelnews.ca or call 250-718-2724.


iN PHOTOS: Helicopter and rope rescue team save injured hiker
KAMLOOPS – Yesterday rescue crews were called to help an injured hiker stranded on a sharp cliff in the Cinnamon Ridge area of Kamloops. After Steven Latchford fell approximately 40 feet and sustained injuries, he became stuck in roug

Top News