Overnight fire contained to vehicle

Image Credit: Google Streetview

KELOWNA — Firefighters were able to prevent a car fire from spreading to a home last night.

Kelowna Fire Department was called shortly after 11 p.m. Dec. 3 to 1606 Lindsay Drive. Platoon Capt. Kelly Stephens says they found a car with flames coming from the engine compartment. It was in the driveway not far from the garage door and was starting to melt the plastic on the garage door, rendering it inoperable.

They got the fire out easy enough but not before some smoke got inside the home so crews needed to ventilate the house. That meant the three residents and one pet had to stay with a friend.

"Cause of the fire was a malfunctioning block heater on the car," Stephens said. "The Kelowna Fire Department reminds everyone when using block heaters have the proper size extension cord and plug into a ground fault breaker."

To contact the reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw at aproskiw@infotelnews.ca or call 250-718-0428. To contact the editor, email mjones@infotelnews.ca or call 250-718-2724.

Tags: fire

chris-george
GEORGE: Appearance of impropriety comes with campaign donations
"I value my reputation. I work hard to avoid even the appearance of impropriety.  "- Richard Hanna, Republican Congressman from New York Appearances matter in our legal system and especially in our politics. Confidence

Top News