More snow on the way this weekend

Many residents around the region are still digging out after the major snowfall last week and more snow is on the way.

THOMPSON-OKANAGAN - The temperatures are warming up but we are not out of the woods when it comes to snow just yet, Mother Nature may add another layer of the white stuff before the weekend is over.

According to Environment Canada people in Kamloops can expect snow today, Friday, Jan. 16, and Saturday along with temperatures just above the seasonal normal high of -5 Celsius. By Sunday temperatures are expected to reach 7 C and by Monday the sun will be ready to make another appearance.

In the Vernon a heavy snowfall warning ended this morning and will now face a mix of sun and cloud and just above seasonal normal temperatures today. Snow is expected Saturday but will change to a mix of snow and rain on Sunday as the temperatures warm up. By Monday temperatures should reach 5 C and there is a 40 per cent chance of showers.

Kelowna and Penticton are both expected to reach a high of 3 C today and will be 5 C on Monday. Kelowna can expect snow today along with a 60 per cent chance Saturday and then a mix of snow and rain on Sunday. Penticton has a 30 to 60 per cent chance of a mix of snow and rain today and tomorrow and then Sunday will be a mix of snow and rain. A 40 per cent chance of showers is expected throughout the Okanagan on Monday.

The recent and expected snowfall has led to Avalanche Canada increasing the risk rating to 'considerable' at the treeline and alpine levels in the Kootenay Boundary, North Columbia and South Columbia ranges. Avalanche forecasters note storm conditions will create new problems and large, destructive avalanches remain possible.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Jennifer Stahn at jstahn@infonews.ca or call 250-819-3723. To contact an editor, email mjones@infonews.ca or call 250-718-2724.


THOMPSON: Polio, books and the Cold War all part of growing up in 1950s Florida
  OPINION This week's column is another excerpt from a book I am writing about growing up in Florida during the 1950s and 1960s. Again, despite the distance in miles and time, perhaps it will sound familiar to some

Top News