Military bases on heightened security status after Ottawa shooting
Vehicles enter Canadian Forces Base Halifax in Halifax on Wednesday, October 22, 2014. Canadian military bases have heightened security measures after shootings in Ottawa.
Image Credit: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Andrew Vaughan
October 22, 2014 - 12:42 PM
HALIFAX - Canadian Forces bases across the country have been ordered to consider increasing security levels after shootings on Parliament Hill and at the National War Memorial in Ottawa.
Maj.-Gen. Christopher Coates says bases have been asked to take "precautions appropriate to their environments" to ensure the safety and security of personnel, equipment and buildings.
Military and civilian personnel working in the Ottawa area have also been told to remain in their buildings until further notice.
In Halifax, gates to the waterfront navy base, the air base and other bases in the city were locked as part of the heightened security effort.
Capt. Peter Ryan of Maritime Forces Atlantic says other measures can't be discussed in order to ensure the safety and security of military personnel.
But he says the security measures aren't in response to any local incidents.
A source in the Defence Department says instructions were also sent by email on behalf of Rear Admiral John Newton to personnel advising them to avoid appearing in uniform in public places.
A spokesman for the Defence Department in Ottawa could not be reached for comment on whether a similar directive had been issued to military personnel across the country.
The source confirmed that the message from Newton asked staff "to restrict movement in uniform in public as much as possible."
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014