Current Conditions

Cloudy
-9.1°C

Man in terror-linked attack had been arrested this summer, say RCMP

A car is overturned in the ditch in a cordoned off area in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que. on Monday Oct. 20, 2014. One of two soldiers hit by a car on Monday in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que., died of his injuries early Tuesday, according to Quebec provincial police.
Image Credit: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Pascal Marchand
October 21, 2014 - 3:52 PM

MONTREAL - The man police say deliberately drove a car into two soldiers in a "despicable act" the government linked to terrorist ideology had been arrested by RCMP this summer, a spokeswoman for the federal police force said Tuesday.

Martine Fontaine said authorities met with Martin Rouleau-Couture as recently as Oct. 9 and that there was nothing to indicate any such violent behaviour was in the offing. One of the soldiers struck by the car died.

Authorities held a late-afternoon news conference Tuesday and publicly identified Rouleau-Couture for the first time.

The RCMP investigation into Rouleau-Couture began last June when they saw on his Facebook account he was "radicalizing" himself.

"We couldn't arrest someone for having radical thoughts," Fontaine said. "It's not a crime in Canada.

"And unless we have clear indications of what he was doing, it was very difficult to prevent and stop him."

Earlier, the RCMP commissioner said Rouleau-Couture had his passport seized because he was suspected of being an extremist with possible terrorist links.

Paulson said the passport was confiscated and confirmed he was one of 90 suspected extremists being investigated by the RCMP.

"That's what follows from the analysis; his passport was seized by us ...," Paulson told reporters after an appearance before the House of Commons house affairs committee.

"He was part of our investigative efforts to try and identify those people who might commit a criminal act travelling abroad for terrorist purposes. In that respect, we were working him and other suspects."

The government has raised its internal threat level due to an increase in "general chatter from radical Islamist organizations" such as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, said Jason Tamming, a spokesman for the public safety minister.

This level means that intelligence has indicated that an individual or group within Canada or abroad has the intent and capability to commit an act of terrorism, but it is not the result of a specific threat, he added.

Earlier in the day, police said the car was driven deliberately into the two soldiers in what Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney called an act of violence against Canada that was "clearly linked" to terrorist ideology.

Canada is taking terrorist threats seriously, Blaney said, adding he was "horrified and saddened" by Monday's incident in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu.

"What took place is clearly linked to terrorist ideology," he told a news conference in the town southeast of Montreal that is home to a military college and a garrison.

"It is an unacceptable act of violence against our country, our Quebec values, our Canadian values."

Police have said they shot the man following a car chase after he had struck the two soldiers with his vehicle in the parking lot of a shopping mall.

Provincial police identified the soldier who died as warrant officer Patrice Vincent, 53.

In the Commons, Prime Minister Stephen Harper praised Vincent as a 28-year veteran who served with distinction across the country.

"This was a despicable act of violence that strikes against not just this soldier and his colleagues, but frankly against our very values as a civilized democracy," he said.

"We will continue to stand with the men and women of the Armed Forces who defend us against these threats."

Provincial police described the second soldier's injuries as less serious and said his life was not in danger.

Lt. Guy Lapointe told a separate news conference Tuesday that the act was deliberate and that one of the two soldiers was in uniform.

Blaney said that as far as he knows no order has been given to members of the Canadian Forces to not wear their fatigues in public.

On Monday, the Prime Minister's Office said the man who died from police gunfire after he struck the soldiers had "become radicalized."

"The individual who struck the two CAF members with his car is known to federal authorities, including the Integrated National Security Enforcement Team," said a statement from Jason MacDonald, Harper's communications director.

"Federal authorities have confirmed that there are clear indications that the individual had become radicalized."

Paulson said he does not believe the slain man had co-conspirators.

"We don't suspect that, but we're open to that and we're concerned about that, so we're going to be pursuing every investigative avenue to satisfy ourselves that we've eliminated that possibility," he noted.

On Monday, Lapointe said the shooting occurred after the man hit the two pedestrians in the parking lot of a shopping mall and took off.

That triggered a chase that ended with the man losing control and his car rolling over several times.

Lapointe said the man was brandishing a knife when he emerged from the vehicle.

News from © The Canadian Press, 2014
The Canadian Press

  • Popular kelowna News
  • Comments

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile