Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy

Man accused of toting shotgun to Penticton court claims charter breach, wants out of jail

Jessy Arthur Michaud said in Penticton court today, April 20, he was suffering "fundamental injustice," claiming Crown had not delivered all evidence of the case against him.
April 20, 2016 - 5:00 PM

PENTICTON - The man accused of bringing a shotgun into Penticton Law Courts building last summer is requesting a judicial stay of proceedings because he claims the Crown is withholding evidence.

Jessy Arthur Michaud told Judge Gale Sinclair in Penticton Provincial Court today, April 20, he has not received disclosure information on his case and claimed it violated his Charter rights.

So far, Michaud is representing himself. He is accused of bringing a loaded shotgun into Penticton courthouse July 13, 2015, hidden in a DeWalt tool case. He faces numerous weapons charges as a result of last year's incident.

Michaud said a video he was sent wouldn’t play and he was missing a video of his statement to police,  as well as a video of courthouse sheriffs retrieving the tool case from bushes near the courthouse.

He said he was also missing a complete video of the courthouse the morning of the incident, and two email statements.

“They’ve been withholding evidence. Enough is enough. I want to go home,” he said adding he has spent nine months in jail since the July 13, 2015 incident.

Crown Prosecutor Vern Frolick insisted all disclosure had been sent to Michaud through Crown Prosecutor Chris Balison. He noted Michaud had not yet secured counsel, but in Crown’s view all disclosure had been delivered and were ready to proceed with the case.

Judge Sinclair said he needed an answer from Michaud regarding counsel, adjourning the matter until next week.

“One more week and we’ll see if you get what you need,” he said.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad or call 250-488-3065 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2016
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular kamloops News
  • Comments

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile