December 17, 2015 - 4:35 PM
PENTICTON - A Penticton man alleged to have attacked a pizza delivery man with a box cutter has been released on bail.
Dayne Douglas Jones, charged with aggravated assault, assault with a weapon and resisting a police officer, was granted release on $5,000 bail following an appearance in Penticton court this afternoon, Dec. 17.
The charges stem from an incident December 14, when Canadian 2 for 1 pizza delivery driver Brian Booth was allegedly attacked after delivering a pizza.
Crown Prosecutor Kurt Froehlich told court Booth received lacerations to his face and a deep cut to his left hand after being called to deliver a pizza to Jones late Monday night.
When Booth arrived at the door, Jones claimed to have lost his wallet in an altercation at Clancy’s Pub earlier that night. Booth left, but some time later Jones called the pizza shop again, this time threatening if the pizza wasn’t delivered, he’d “strangle them,” Froehlich said.
Booth went back to Jones residence, when he was allegedly attacked. Froehlich said Booth pleaded for Jones to stop as he was repeatedly struck in the face with a box cutter.
He eventually got away by grabbing the knife, cutting his hand in the process. He managed to get in his car and drive himself to the hospital, where police were called. Part of the altercation was recorded by Booth on his second visit, Froehlich said.
Police had difficulties with Jones when they arrived at his apartment on Westminster Avenue. He repeatedly refused police commands, acting belligerently, shouting obscenities and telling police to shoot him. He admitted cutting Booth, Froehlich said.
Police returned later with a search warrant, finding bloody evidence in towels and on furnishings. Jones said Booth didn’t have a pizza on his second visit and was angry when the struggle ensued. Jones was also cut in the altercation, needing several stitches to cuts on both wrists, Froehlich said.
Defence lawyer James Pennington told Judge Gale Sinclair his client has a history of mental health issues and has been treated in the past for substance abuse and anxiety disorders. He said his client had been interested treatment, but took employment with his father which “disinclined him to go at the expense of the job.”
“It shocks me such gratuitous violence goes on,” Sinclair said. He agreed to Jones’s release on bail along with a number of restrictions, including staying away from the victim and alcohol and drugs.
His next court appearance is slated for Jan. 6, 2016.
To contact the reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-488-3065. To contact the editor, email email@example.com or call 250-718-2724.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2015