Lytton social worker tells court he didn't shave former client's body hair | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source
Subscribe

Would you like to subscribe to our newsletter?

Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy  22.4°C

Kamloops News

Lytton social worker tells court he didn't shave former client's body hair

Image Credit: Shannon Quesnel

KAMLOOPS - A social worker accused of shaving a former client’s body hair while he slept, threatening him and then holding him against his will has denied the allegations in B.C. Supreme Court.

Michael Hume is facing one count each of sexual assault, forcible confinement and uttering threats stemming from an alleged incident at his home in Lytton.

The complainant, who cannot be identified due to a court order, testified through tears last week about waking up naked on Aug. 8, 2013, to find Hume, his former social worker, shaving off most of his body hair.

The man in his 20s said he reluctantly accepted a ride from Hume that night after drinking at a friend’s house because he otherwise faced a long walk home.

He said Hume drove him to his own home, where the alleged incident occurred.

Hume told court that the allegations are not true.

“Did you shave this man?” asked defence lawyer Richard Kaiser.

“Absolutely not,” Hume replied.

“Did you threaten this man?”

“Absolutely not,” Hume said.

“Did you confine him within your home at any time?” Kaiser asked.

“Absolutely not,” Hume said.

According to Hume, the complainant had threatened to ruin his reputation in the small Fraser Canyon community if he didn’t hand over cash.

“He says, ‘I want you to give me $200,'” Hume said.

“I said, ‘I’m not giving you $200.’"

“He said, ‘I’ll pick up the phone and I’ll actually destroy your reputation if you don’t give me $200.’

“I told him it’s not an option.”

The complainant has testified that soon after arriving at Hume's home, he went into the washroom and became sick to his stomach after drinking with his friend.

He said Hume then handed him a drink but that he didn't consume most of it and soon blacked out, only to awake and find his former social worker shaving his body hair, including his genitals.

The young man said he was scared and made a phone call pleading for help.

Jurors have heard a recording of a call from the complainant to the band chief from Hume's house, after the Crown alleges the assault occurred.

"I need you to pick up right now, please. Pick up, please,'' the man was heard saying.

He said Hume then drove him to his cousin's house, told him not to tell anyone what happened and threw $50 at him.

Hume also told court that he drove the young man to his cousin's house but denied the other allegations.

Under cross-examination from Kaiser earlier this week, the complainant denied attempting to extort Hume.

The jury has heard police found the complainant’s shaven body hair inside Hume’s vacuum cleaner.

Last week, Lytton First Nation Janet Webster testified Hume arrived in the community 10 years ago.

She said he first worked as a youth and recreational counsellor and later assisted with restorative justice and helped young band members — including the complainant — navigate the legal system.

News from © The Canadian Press, 2015
The Canadian Press

  • Popular kamloops News
  • No referendum for $150M Kamloops RCMP building
    Kamloops voters will soon be asked to decide whether to give their blessing for a new Kamloops RCMP building, along with a host of less expensive projects. Similar to the Build Kamloops loan
  • Kamloops cops make one arrest and seize more than a dozen guns
    Kamloops RCMP made one arrest and seized guns, vehicles and drugs in a raid in Aberdeen Tuesday. Kamloops RCMP officers alongside members of the Southeast District Emergency Response Team ex
  • RV strikes roof at Kamloops hospital entrance
    Royal Inland Hospital took some damage when an RV struck the building Monday afternoon. All entrances to the Kamloops hospital remain open, but signs of an impact remain on the ceiling at th
  • RCMP looking for suspect vehicle in Kamloops hit-and-run
    A woman was injured in a hit-and-run in Kamloops last week and RCMP are asking for the public's help to find the driver. Kamloops RCMP were called to the intersection of Summit Drive and
  • Future Kamloops fire, search and rescue hall eyed at $10M
    Search and rescue crews in Kamloops could share space with firefighters and the potential new hall is estimated to cost nearly $10 million. Funded mostly by the Thompson-Nicola Regional Dist
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile