June 03, 2016 - 4:34 PM
KELOWNA – A Kelowna gangster who was somehow involved in the drive-by murder of Jonathan Bacon in Kelowna back in 2011 has been sentenced in Vancouver under a shroud of secrecy.
The public were never told that Shane Timothy Dankoski, 31, was sworn in Vancouver Supreme Court five months ago. He pleaded guilty to one count of enhancing the ability of a criminal organization to commit an indictable offence, according to Kim Bolan of the Vancouver Sun.
The "indictable offence" was the murder of Jonathan Bacon as well as the attempted murder of four others who were in the SUV when Bacon was gunned down outside the Okanagan Grand Hotel and Casino in downtown Kelowna August 14, 2011. Jujhur Khun-Khun, 27, Michael Jones, 27, and Jason McBride, 39, were arrested and are in custody awaiting trial, scheduled to begin in Kelowna Supreme Court in the fall.
Dankoski, who police have never identified as being part of the conspiracy, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to two years in jail earlier this year. No reasons for the decision have been made public.
In an email to the Vancouver Province, Gordon Comer of the B.C. Attorney General’s criminal justice branch said “there was nothing about this particular matter which required a media statement.”
Bolan, who has been covering the case from the beginning, reports Dankoski is an associate of the late Sukh Dhak, who was shot to death in Burnaby in 2012, and his brother Gurmit, who was shot and killed outside a Burnaby mall in 2010.
Prior to the sentencing, Dankoski was being charged with numerous offences allegedly committed over the last two years, including resisting arrest and assaulting a Kelowna peace officer in September 2014 and unauthorized possession of a firearm and knowingly possessing a firearm without a licence in January 2015. Three months later he was charged with theft and possession of stolen property and then in May 2015, with breaching court conditions. Two months after that he was charged with assault.
According to Bolan, all outstanding charges were stayed the same month he pleaded guilty to his role in the Bacon murder.
To contact a reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw or call 250-718-0428 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.
We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2016