December 04, 2013 - 8:39 AM
KAMLOOPS - A Kamloops teen considered high-risk to commit acts of terrorism was handed a stricter probation and jail-time today in Kamloops provincial court.
The 17-year-old male, who cannot be named because of the Youth Criminal Justice Act, was in court today on a Crown application and on separate charges.
Last year the teen was sentenced to one year in jail and three years probation after sentenced as an adult for burning down a house in North Kamloops. A recent search of his room uncovered various suspicious items including a disassembled bug zapper, the makings of a detonator and meticulous notes and research on bomb-making, homemade tasers, interrogating and torturing techniques as well as terrorist links and activities throughout the world.
"The file folder indicated various states of terrorist violence," said Crown prosecutor Chris Balison. "It was recommended (he) be further assessed."
An RCMP anti-terrorism unit — Integrated National Security Enforcement Team (INSET) — got involved. Balison told the court the teen has been deemed of high-risk to commit acts of terrorism, violence, sexual violence and arson, according to a behavioural assessment.
Judge Chris Cleaveley agreed to harsher probation terms including house arrest and a prohibition from posessing terrorist materials.
The teen was also in court today pleading guilty to assaulting a social worker and breaching probation conditions. Cleaveley imposed a 30-day sentence consisting of 20 days jail and 10 days served in the community.
The teen had nothing to say in court or his actions, but the judge had words for him.
"We don't want to see you back where you are right now," Cleaveley said. "You're going to have to give it a better effort."
To contact a reporter for this story, email: email@example.com, call: (250) 319-7494 or tweet: @jess__wallace.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2013