April 22, 2015 - 4:08 PM
KAMLOOPS - A week after a Sahali school was shut down due to a suspected prank call, two Westsyde schools were locked down after an anonymous call made reference to weapons and bombs, police say.
Cpl. Wayne Chung with the Kamloops RCMP says the police were made aware of the phone threat shortly after 2:30 p.m., April 22.
Westsyde Secondary Vice Principal Chris Preymak says the phone call suggested a student at the school had something threatening in their backpack, but did not identify a specific student.
"We could not determine where the phone call came from," Preymak says.
The school underwent emergency lockdown procedures and when officers attended the scene they cordoned off the area and made sure there was no threat to students and staff inside the building. Neighbouring David Thompson Elementary was also put into a partial lockdown as a precaution.
Preymak says they did not engage in a full lockdown but students were asked to stay in class while officers secured the premises.
The school was deemed safe and secondary students were dismissed a bit earlier than their normal 2:55 p.m. dismissal, while elementary students were kept at school just past their normal 2:30 p.m. dismissal.
RCMP will continue to investigate.
Last week a threatening call was made to Summit Elementary. The call came in around 2 p.m. on April 15 and also mentioned a weapon.
Earlier today a Coquitlam school was put into lockdown before school even began when a caller claimed there was a bomb at the school.
To contact a reporter for this story, email Jennifer Stahn at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-819-3723. To contact an editor, email email@example.com or call 250-718-2724.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2015