November 02, 2015 - 10:09 AM
KAMLOOPS - RCMP are investigating a report by a Kamloops parent about finding a needle in a piece of candy their child collected while trick or treating Saturday night, Oct. 31.
Cpl. Cheryl Bush says in a media release, the treat came from a residence in the Brocklehurst neighbourhood.
“A parent reported they had found a candy wrapper that appeared to have the air gone out of it and upon further examination found a sewing needle inserted inside a chocolate,” she says in the release.
The parent, who goes by Jennifer Suzanne on Facebook, declined an interview and responded with the following message:
"I have already spoken to other reporters/journalists and police. I'm terribly sorry but this has been a huge ordeal for us. I mean it was one thing for it to have happened to us but really something else to be bashed all over (Facebook) for it. I've been dealing wth constant negativity since last night, trying to defend myself for doing something anyone should have done.
"To warn parents to be vigilant and to take precautionary measures to ensure our loved ones safety! I know I would have wanted to know. But after all the criticism and people calling me a liar and my post a hoax, I almost regret posting. It's literally been a nightmare.
"So again I'm sorry I just can't do it! My anxiety is at an all new level of high and I'm trying to care for my family at this time."
Anyone with information is asked to call the Kamloops RCMP at 250-828-3000. To remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at 250-828-3215.
— This story was updated at 9:56 a.m., Nov. 2, 2015 to include a statement from Jennifer Suzanne.
To contact a reporter for this story, email Glynn Brothen at email@example.com, or call 250-319-7494. To contact the editor, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-718-2724.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2015