April 09, 2016 - 11:30 AM
THOMPSON-OKANAGAN - From luxury condos on the lake to ‘glamping’ in a teepee, the Southern Interior has hundreds of Airbnb rentals to suit any traveller.
People from the southern interior have created some truly unique vacation rentals, and a gander through the region’s Airbnb listings will likely leave you surprised at just how many are out there.
Today, we’ll show you around some of the area’s most jaw-dropping rentals — from some of the most expensive to the most original. Tomorrow, we’ll look at the regulatory side of Airbnb and what this growing trend means for the Southern Interior.
1. You can rent this luxury home on Okanagan Lake and live like royalty — it’s only $850 a night. Located in Vernon.
2. ‘The Food Hotel’ harkens to the original concept of a bed and breakfast, but this host has put her own gourmet spin on things. She’ll whip up locally sourced lunches and dinners on top of breakfast, and she’s not just a chef. Trained in thai massage, hot stone and herbal compress, this massage therapist will truly help you unwind. $110 per night, located in Vernon.
3. Step back in time with a night in this 1900s log trapper cabin on the Kettle Valley Railroad Trail. Enjoy beautiful scenery, privacy and fresh air — but be warned, bathroom facilities are authentic (ie. an outhouse.) $100 per night, located in Kelowna.
4. Spend some time at this urban farm in Kamloops complete with a food forest garden, free range bunnies and farm to table meals. Hot tub parties, BBQs and music jams happen regularly, and the pool deck is apparently clothing optional. $60 a night.
5. At these cabins outside Kamloops, you have both wilderness and luxury right outside your door. Shared amenities include an indoor pool, hot tub, and games room. $219 a night, located 20 minutes from Kamloops.
6. There’s nothing ordinary about this rental in Penticton. Escape from everyday life in this romantic getaway featuring an opening roof, jacuzzi tub and cozy firepit. $176 per night, located in Penticton.
7. This cabin is made from reclaimed materials, is completely off-grid and ‘hangs weightlessly off the rammed earth wall’ to afford visitors sweeping views of the valley below. $50 per night, located in Penticton.
8. Get away from it all in this custom built dome home surrounded by gardens. $124 per night, located in Armstrong.
9. Not your typical tenting experience. This roomy tent features a bed, end tables, and a sitting area where you can hear the nearby creek. $88 per night, located in Kelowna.
10. Always wanted to spend a night in a teepee? Here’s your chance. This fully furnished teepee in Vernon even has its own toilet. $96 per night.
Why not everyone is so cozy with Airbnb rentals
To contact a reporter for this story, email Charlotte Helston or call 250-309-5230 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.
We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2016