Guilty and not guilty after YouTube bus incident
By Jessica Wallace
(JESSICA WALLACE /InfoTel Multimedia)
December 02, 2013 - 8:39 AM
KAMLOOPS - A Kamloops man was acquitted of assault but found guilty of mischief today in Kamloops provincial court for an incident on a public city bus last year.
Bradley Derek Smith was accused of assaulting a public city bus driver and damaging a bus window, Dec. 4, 2012. He posted an altercation between himself, another passenger and the driver on YouTube after the incident. His trial began in the summer and continued this week in Kamloops.
During his decision today, Judge Stephen Harrison said testimony from the accused, complainant and multiple witnesses offered contrary accounts of what happened. While he said he had his suspicions, he was unable to prove the assault beyond a reasonable doubt.
As for the mischief charge, Harrison said, "It's another story."
"I am satisfied that the break in the window… was in fact caused by Mr. Smith," he said. "I find you guilty with respect to the second count."
Smith was handed a conditional discharge with nine months probation. He was also ordered to repay damages for the bus window and to have no direct contact with the bus driver.
To contact a reporter for this story, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, call: (250) 319-7494 or tweet: @jess__wallace.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2013