August 10, 2015 - 9:52 AM
VERNON - A pillar of black smoke rising from a Vernon property Sunday afternoon was the work of a vigorous shed fire.
The blaze broke out just before 2 p.m., Aug. 9 in the 4200-block of 27 Avenue, and appears to have started in or around a plastic garden shed, deputy Vernon fire chief Jack Blair says.
“Due to the plastics the fire got quite hot quite quick and caused extensive exposure damage to a late model Mustang and a camper both parked at the rear of the utility shed,” Blair says.
Along with the garden shed, car and camper, a motorcycle was also damaged in the fire before crews put it out.
Some of the residents were home at the time and called 911 when the fire started. An investigator will be visiting the scene today, Aug. 10, to speak with the residents about what was kept inside the shed, and what might have sparked the fire.
No one was hurt and firefighters managed to contain the fire before it had a chance to spread to homes or other nearby structures, but Blair says the owner suffered significant losses.
“Between the Mustang, the shed, and the motorcycle parked in the shed, we’re into a large amount of dollar loss,” Blair says.
To contact the reporter for this story, email Charlotte Helston at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-309-5230. To contact the editor, email email@example.com or call 250-718-2724.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2015