Family homeless after fire destroys roof
A Cawston family home was destroyed by fire and an online donation campaign has started to help out the displaced family.
Image Credit: Supplied
December 11, 2013 - 10:28 AM
KEREMEOS - A home-destroying blaze has put a Cawston family out into the cold this holiday season.
On Monday the roof of a Ferko Road residence caught fire and collapsed into the home, Keremeos Volunteer Fire Department fire chief Jordy Bosscha said. There were two occupants at the time but they escaped unharmed.
There was a number of buildings around the home but they were not damaged. Bosscha said some things were recoverable although it is typical for items in a fire to not only be burnt but also to be damaged beyond repair by smoke and then by the water used to suppress the flames.
An online donation campaign was started to help the home's occupants. It has already surpassed its goal of $500 and sits at $2,045 as of Wednesday. The money will buy new clothes, food, furniture and beds.
To contact a reporter for this story, to send photos or videos, email Shannon Quesnel at email@example.com, call 250-488-3065, send tweets to @shannonquesnel1 or @InfoNewsPentict.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2013