December 15, 2014 - 3:50 PM
KELOWNA - Quick thinking by a Kelowna homeowner likely saved his house after the gas tank on a vintage car exploded in the attached garage Monday afternoon.
At about 2:25 p.m., fire crews responded to a call about an explosion and fire at a home at 311 Woodpark Cres. in Magic Estates on Knox Mountain.
Platoon captain Tim Light says the homeowner, who is a mechanic, was working on his 1950s era Chevy. He was dropping the gas tank from the car when it hit the concrete, sparked and ignited the fumes, which caused the explosion.
Quick thinking by the homeowner to close the garage door probably saved the house by keeping the fire contained.
“It’s actually surprising. The explosion was quite significant according to the neighbours,” Light says.
Mistaya Arthur, who lives across the street, heard the explosion, “I saw the fire raging in the garage and called 911.”
The homeowner was taken to the hospital by ambulance with first-degree burns to his face and head.
The burning gas made it’s way down the driveway and torched a boat parked next to the house.
Light says the boat is a total loss while the Chevy suffered significant damage. He adds the garage is likely a write-off.
Firefighters rescued a caged budgie from the smoke inside the home.
Kelowna firefighters rescued a caged budgie from the smoke inside the home on Woodpark Crescent, Monday, Dec. 15, 2014.
(MARSHALL JONES /InfoTel Multimedia)
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014