Displaced Kamloops family looks to donations for support after boxing day fire
By Glynn Brothen
The Wilton family is pictured in this contributed photo.
Image Credit: Contributed
December 28, 2015 - 4:30 PM
KAMLOOPS - A bit of smoke in a closet turned into a Boxing Day nightmare for a family of four living in the Brocklehurst neighbourhood, but thankfully some support is rolling in to help them rebuild their home.
Gin Donovan is accepting donations of household items and money for her sister Heather Wilton’s family who escaped the blaze Dec. 26.
Donovan says the fire started in a closet on the second floor of their townhouse while the husband and two children were home. Her brother-in-law attempted to put out the fire himself, but was eventually overwhelmed by the smoke and called 9-1-1.
“Everything on the top floor from bedrooms to bathrooms is gone, either from smoke, water or fire damage,” she says. The family hasn’t heard what the cause of the fire was, but suspect the flames started from an electrical outlet nearby.
Donovan says her sister and family rented the home from her and they don't have tenant insurance. The family hopes to raise enough funds to help renovate the property and move back in.
Donovan has started collecting items to replace what burned in the bedrooms. She’s also hoping for toys and baby items as the family’s two children are three and 18 months old. She’s kept a list of what’s needed on a Facebook page set up for the family.
For financial donations a GoFundMe account is available.
“It’s been an overwhelming response with items that have come in,” she says. “I want to thank everyone for the support they have shown this family.”
To contact the reporter for this story, email Glynn Brothen at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-319-7494. To contact the editor, email email@example.com or call 250-718-2724.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2015