Discarded cigarette starts Kamloops grass fire

Kamloops firefighters quickly put out a grass fire on Shuswap Road Thursday, July 10, 2014.

KAMLOOPS - You could see the thick black smoke for kilometres from a grass fire across Highway 5 from the Sun Rivers Golf Course in Kamloops Thursday afternoon.

Fire captain Chris Burnham says the five person crew had the blaze near a home on Shuswap Road out in about 5 mintues.

The fire started after a lit cigarette was tossed into dry grass. "(The homeowner) threw down a cigarette by accident," Burnham says.

The family was working outside and immediately called 9-1-1.

The fire grew to about .25 hectare before it was put out.

No one was hurt.

To contact a reporter for this story, email gbrothen@infotelnews.ca, or call 250-319-7494. To contact the editor, email mjones@infotelnews.ca or call 250-718-2724.


Georgia McAlpine took her life in 2016. She wanted her parents to continue the conversation on mental health.
Parents of Kelowna teen who took her own life speak out about mental health
KELOWNA - Georgia McAlpine took her life just before her 19th birthday. In her suicide note she told her parents to open up the conversation on mental health, and that’s exactly what they’re doing. In a video released by Kelown

Top News