July 03, 2013 - 5:00 AM
KAMLOOPS – Nearly one-third of all city employees make more than $75,000 annually.
Accounting for more than $9.19 million in staff salaries and making up nearly half of that third are members of the fire department.
More than $56 million was paid to city employees and council in 2012 and even though expenses were reduced by about $100,000 a total of nearly $2.8 million more was paid over 2011. The bump to 2012 from 2011 includes nearly 20 more employees on the over $75,000 list, which is published as part of the city's annual statement of financial information.
CAO David Trawin is the highest paid of any city employee at just under $200,000 and another 62 employees are making over $100,000, nearly 40 of them are with the fire department. The fire department totalled about $14.1 million in salaries in 2012 while other city staffers accounted for about $20.6 million in salaries.
Top-five staff salaries (not in the fire department):
- David Trawin, Chief Administrative Officer $199,282
- Lenard Hyrcan, Community and Corporate Affairs Director $188,658
- Byron McCorkell, Director Parks and Recreation $185,803
- David Duckworth, Director of Corporate Services and Community Safety $178,095
- Sally Edwards, Finance Director $176,587
Top-five staff salaries (fire department):
- Neill Moroz, Fire Chief $146,265
- James Bell, Deputy Fire Chief $131,912
- Dennis Fayers, Assistant Fire Chief $117,917
- Dean Olstad, Chief Fire Prevention Officer $111,733
- Curtis Bossert, Assistant Fire Chief $110,649
To contact a reporter for this story, email firstname.lastname@example.org, call (250)819-3723 or tweet @JennStahn.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2013