June 30, 2014 - 3:33 PM
PENTICTON - Boonstock organizers have arranged another walk-through of festival grounds this weeks for city officials who either missed out or were not invited to the last tour on June 13.
Coun. Helena Konanz confirmed her attendance at the walk-through and said she is excited about the festival and the 8,500 people it will bring to Penticton.
“We need to start thinking more positively” about the event, she said. There has been a lot of negative connotations associated with the festival but if people are more optimistic about it then it is less likely to fail, she said.
Konanz is just one city councillor who spoke out about Boonstock during last week’s city council meeting — Coun. Katie Robinson had more negative views than Konanz, and said she does not support the event and thinks it will result in problems for the city and taxpayers.
This is the first year Penticton will host Boonstock, which originated in northern Alberta. The festival is known for riots and bad behaviour, but organizers have changed the line up to, perhaps, attract a different crowd.
To date, organizers have disclosed little information about the preparation plans, however they ensure they are on track with plans, and the event will be well-supervised by RCMP and private security.
To contact the reporter for this story, email Meaghan Archer at email@example.com or call 250-488-3065. To contact the editor, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-718-2724.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014