Cigarette butts likely caused a small grass fire in Peachland

PEACHLAND - Discarded cigarette butts were found near the centre of brush that caught fire in Peachland this afternoon.

At around 1:30 p.m., May 27, Peachland Fire and Rescue attended to a property on Minto Street where a small brush fire had broken out.

The fire reached a maximum of 30' by 40' and was extinguished before it could spread to the only nearby structure.

"The fire burnt right up to the edge of a small metal garden shed," Peachland Fire Chief Dennis Craig says. "It didn't amount to much."

What worries Craig is how the fire likely started.

"We found discarded smokers material," he says.

Craig confirmed the materials were cigarette butts and that although the fire was small, it was potentially dangerous.

The recent wet weather played a role.

"Had it been a month from now or even a week ago it would have been a different story."


To contact a reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw or call 250-718-0428 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 


Kudos for these Kamloops businesses giving hot dogs a break
KAMLOOPS – As summer bakes on, some Kamloops and area businesses are adding their names to a growing list of Thompson-Okanagan stores that will let you bring your dog inside when it’s hot. The list was started by Kelowna SPCA st

Top News