November 17, 2014 - 10:26 AM
KELOWNA - There was more than one home at risk when a fire broke out in a carport at Veechio's Corner Sunday night.
Firefighters were called to the fire located at 2591 Highway 97 north at 7:38 p.m. and managed to extinguish the blaze and keep it from spreading to other units close to the single storey, row type, multi-family residence.
They then used a thermal imaging camera to check for fire and heat and ensure the blaze wasn't spreading behind walls and other areas not easily detectible with the human eye. Using the camera means firefighters don't have to tear down walls to get a visual on the spread of fire and there is less damage to property.
The Kelowna fire department believes a heating cable and extension cord overheated, starting the fire. Two people were home when it began.
Firefighters responded with three engines, one rescue truck, one command vehicle and 16 personnel.
To contact the reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw at email@example.com or call 250-718-0428. To contact the editor, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-718-2724.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014