Car catches fire in busy parking lot
Firefighters quickly put out a car fire in a busy lot near Superstore on Anderson Way, July 7, 2014.
(CHARLOTTE HELSTON / iNFOnews.ca)
July 07, 2014 - 1:41 PM
VERNON - A Vernon couple were in the hot seat this afternoon when the car they were depending on to get them home burst into flames.
The middle-aged man and woman just finished having lunch and returned to their car parked in a lot across from Superstore on Anderson Way. The woman slid behind the wheel and attempted to turn the engine, but the car caught fire. She and the man were able to get out of the vehicle safely.
Vernon fire captain Doug Imrich says the truck was fully involved when they arrived around 1 p.m.
"We had a few issues because it (truck) is propane as well, so when we initially put out the fire we didn't know how full the tank was," Imrich says.
Firefighters shut off the propane and continued to douse the truck while people in the area gathered to watch.
There has been a series of suspected arsons in Vernon lately, but Imrich says this fire is not considered suspicious.
To contact the reporter for this story, email Charlotte Helston at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-309-5230. To contact the editor, email email@example.com or call 250-718-2724.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014