Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy

Boston cool to native son Wahlberg's plan to produce movie about marathon bombing

In this April 15, 2013, file photo, medical workers aid injured people following an explosion at the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon in Boston. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was convicted Wednesday, April 8, 2015, in federal court in Boston on multiple charges in the bombings. Three people were killed and more than 260 were injured when twin pressure-cooker bombs exploded near the finish line.
Image Credit: AP Photo/Charles Krupa, File
April 12, 2015 - 8:33 AM

BOSTON - Two words: too soon.

That's the overwhelming reaction to actor Mark Wahlberg's plans to produce "Patriots' Day," a feature film about the deadly bombing of the 2013 Boston Marathon.

Columnists, pundits and others say that the pain and suffering caused by the attack is still too fresh and too real for the families of the three killed and the hundreds of people injured to think about making a movie. Wahlberg, who grew up in Boston, is taking a beating.

"How does someone who markets himself as 'a Boston guy' not see that it is far too soon, that the city is still far too sad for its trauma to be transformed into mass entertainment?" wrote Eileen McNamara, a former columnist for The Boston Globe who now teaches journalism at Brandeis University.

Others questioned the timing of the announcement — two weeks before the second anniversary of the bombing and in the middle of the federal trial of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the 21-year-old who was convicted Wednesday in the attack and could be sentenced to death. CBS Films said the movie will be based on a firsthand account from former Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis of the investigation and massive manhunt for Tsarnaev and his brother, who died during a gunbattle with police.

During the trial, marathon spectators gave heartbreaking testimony about losing legs in the explosions or watching people bleed to death on the sidewalk. The father of the youngest victim — 8-year-old Martin Richard — described making the agonizing decision to go get help for his 6-year-old daughter, whose leg had been blown off, after realizing his son would not make it.

"The trial has served as almost a movie of the events itself, making the concurrent announcement of a fictionalized portrayal feel unnecessary and inappropriate," wrote Charlotte Wilder of

"Maybe one day, even someday relatively soon after the trial, turning the events into a film worthy of the story would help the healing and honour the lives of those affected," she wrote.

"But for now, Wahlberg — who plays up his Boston roots whenever he gets the chance — picked the wrong time to break the news."

Liz Norden, the mother of two sons who each lost a leg in the bombing, said it's "way too soon" to make a movie about the attack and she believes Hollywood won't be able to capture the agony of that day.

"I don't think that could ever be re-created," Norden said.

"I've sat in the courtroom with survivors and family members and seen what everybody is going through," she said.

"It's been two years ... but people who live it day in and day out, their lives are just coming back somewhat. For people dealing with putting legs on every day or people who lost loved ones, that doesn't go away."

Still, Norden said, if someone has to make a movie about it, it might as well be Wahlberg. "He's from Boston," she said.

Davis declined to discuss the movie with The Associated Press. He told The Boston Globe he turned down several earlier offers for movies and books. He said representatives of CBS Films told him they were going to make the movie anyway.

"Because I'm a public person, I didn't have the right to stop them. I could either work with them or not," Davis told the newspaper.

"I talked to them at length and I thought it would be better to have some input — to make sure that the depiction was done properly."

Wahlberg's representatives did not return calls and emails from The Associated Press seeking comment.

News from © The Associated Press, 2015
The Associated Press

  • Popular kamloops News
  • Comments
  • Kamloops senior almost swindled out of $4,800
    KAMLOOPS - Yesterday, a Kamloops senior had a close call with a pair of brazen scam artists. Staff Sgt. Edward Preto says in a release that yesterday, Oct. 21, an elderly woman received a ph
  • TRENDING NOW: Ship honks at little girl
    This little girl begged a passing ship to honk its horn. It's safe to say she learned a lesson.
  • Police collar Kamloops break and enter suspect
    KAMLOOPS - A report of an in progress break and enter in downtown Kamloops led to the arrest of a 40-year-old man who is known to police. Yesterday afternoon, at 1:12 p.m., officers and poli
  • Feature film looking for extras in South Okanagan
    OLIVER - Calling all actors, a feature film is set to begin filming in the Oliver and Osoyoos areas next month and film crews are looking for extras. The film entitled  The Humanity Bur
  • How the Lafarge cement plant closure could cost you
    KAMLOOPS - The closure of the Lafarge cement plant won’t impact the City’s budget this year — but that could soon change. Lafarge announced this week it will keep a skeleto

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile