Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy

B.C. forests minister looking for video to help solve Rock Creek fire's cause

Flags can be seen in this Facebook photo where fire investigators believe the Rock Creek wildfire may have started.
Image Credit: Facebook/Tay Ferguson?
August 18, 2015 - 6:00 AM

KELOWNA - British Columbia Forests Minister Steve Thomson says officials are looking for a video that apparently shows how a massive wildfire that has destroyed 30 homes in the province's southeast was sparked by a flicked cigarette.

Thomson said Monday that officials have heard about the video but have yet to see any evidence.

The 37-square-kilometre Rock Creek wildfire stared Thursday and is currently burning out of control east of the southern Okanagan town of Osoyoos. Officials have already said it was human caused.

"We have no confirmation of (the video) at this time, but the investigation is ongoing and I would encourage anyone who has video to share it with the local RCMP or with our Wildfire Service," he said.

Besides the homes, 15 other buildings have been destroyed by the fire so far, and another 242 properties remain on evacuation order.

Homeowners were taken into the fire-ravaged area Monday morning to assess the damage.

"It's just a drive-by to look at their homes," said Alan Stanley of the Kootenay Boundary Regional District. "They're either standing or they're not. It's pretty emotional."

The Red Cross is setting up a centre where residents can receive financial assistance, cleanup kits and other support. It is also collecting donations for families affected by B.C. wildfires this year.

About 100 personnel are working to get the Rock Creek fire under control, but hot, dry conditions are making their jobs difficult, said fire information officer Mike McCulley.

The fire is one of more than 230 blazes currently burning across B.C., said provincial fire information officer Kevin Skrepnek.

He said significant progress has been made on two Oliver-area fires.

Skrepnek said the 15-square kilometre Testalinden fire burning seven kilometres south of the town is now 40 per cent contained and the three-square-kilometre Wilson Mountain wildfire burning just north of Osoyoos is about 70 per cent contained.

Evacuation orders have been lifted for residents living near both fires, though they must still be ready to leave again at a moment's notice.

Eight helicopters and five planes fighting the fires near Oliver were grounded for more than three hours Sunday due to a drone flying in the area.

Thomson was at the Oliver airport at the time and said the crews' faces showed frustration.

"Ticked off would probably be too mild a term to talk about their reaction," he said. "It's really something that is not acceptable as we have these assets in the air, supporting and protecting our communities."

Skrepnek said the province has spent $207 million fighting the nearly 1,650 wildfires across B.C. this year.

News from © The Canadian Press, 2015
The Canadian Press

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile