Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
1.8°C

Barbecue sparks house fire; family of five homeless

Image Credit: File
October 19, 2013 - 10:00 AM

KELOWNA - Fire ripped through a house in the Belgo area of Rutland Friday night, leaving a family of five homeless.

The Kelowna Fire Department got the call to the home on Garner Road at around 10 p.m. and when fire fighters arrived the two-storey house was fully engulfed in flames.

A man was home and made it out unharmed with the family dog.

“Fire fighting efforts kept the fire from spreading to adjacent buildings,” Platoon Captain Steve Wallick said. “However the home is a total loss.”

Investigators think the fire started in the area where the barbecue was being used. That’s where the fire was originally discovered.

Emergency Social Services is helping the family with a place to stay and their immediate needs.

To contact the reporter for this story, email halexander@infotelnews.ca or call 250-491-0331.

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2013
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile