Current Conditions

-9.9°C

Another sign of spring in the Okanagan? Brush fire likely started by discarded cigarette

March 16, 2016 - 6:55 AM

KELOWNA - Kelowna firefighters were quick to put out a fire in a cedar hedge, but say it's a good time to remind people to be careful when extinguishing cigarettes.

At roughly 10:15 p.m. last night, March 15, the Kelowna Fire Department responded to numerous calls of several cedar trees on fire in the 1500-block of Highway 33. A single engine and crew managed to contain and extinguish the fire easy enough. But an inspection of the scene leads fire investigators to one conclusion about how it started.

"We suspect it was improperly discarded smoking materials," Platoon Capt. Eric Simpson says. "There was  no other reason why it was on fire. Unfortunately at this time of year when things are dry you get these things more and more. We would ask people to please take care when smoking."

To contact a reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw at aproskiw@infonews.ca or call 250-718-0428. To contact the editor, email mjones@infonews.ca or call 250-718-2724.

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2016
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular vernon News
  • Comments

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile