Ottawa announces new wastewater regulations that could cost cities billions - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Cloudy
-0.2°C

Ottawa announces new wastewater regulations that could cost cities billions

Ottawa announces new wastewater regulations that could cost cities billions
July 18, 2012 - 5:22 PM

VANCOUVER - The federal government has announced new regulations to control the wastewater entering Canada's lakes, rivers and oceans.

Environment Minister Peter Kent was in British Columbia to announce the new regulations, which are designed to ensure effluent is properly treated before it is released back into the environment.

He says the government estimates roughly 75 per cent of municipalities are already in compliance with the new rules, and the remaining 25 per cent must upgrade to at least secondary wastewater treatment.

Municipalities that are considered high risk have until 2020 to comply, while medium-risk municipalities have until 2030 and low-risk jurisdictions have until 2040.

Kent acknowledges the total costs to municipalities will run into the billions, but he says the federal government is providing municipalities with infrastructure funding and they are free to use that money to pay for wastewater upgrades.

The Federation of Canadian Municipalities says it welcomes the new regulations, but the group is calling on Ottawa to create a national funding program to pay for the wastewater upgrades.

News from © The Canadian Press, 2012
The Canadian Press

  • Popular kamloops News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile