Vernon firefighters come to the rescue after child's head gets stuck in couch | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Current Conditions


Vernon News

Vernon firefighters come to the rescue after child's head gets stuck in couch

Image Credit: FILE PHOTO
November 24, 2016 - 10:02 AM

VERNON - When someone’s head gets stuck in a couch, who do you call?

One woman phoned Vernon Fire and Rescue Services for that very reason. Around 5:30 p.m. yesterday, Nov. 23, firefighters were called to a residence on 26 Street after a small child got his head stuck in a reclining couch.

“Don’t ask me how,” deputy fire chief Jack Blair says.

Firefighters assisted by compressing the foam and releasing the child, who was not hurt.

Blair says the fire department gets all kinds of unusual calls such as this one.

“People panic. Who’s the first person you think of? It’s ‘phone the fire department,’” he says.

Like the stereotypical cat stuck in a tree call, Blair says firefighters were happy to help, and consider it their duty. 

“It’s one of those public service calls that we do. That’s our job,” he says.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Charlotte Helston or call 250-309-5230 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © iNFOnews, 2016

  • Popular kamloops News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile