Attorneys releasing documents showing how Chicago archdiocese handled priest sex abuse claims | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Current Conditions

0.9°C

Attorneys releasing documents showing how Chicago archdiocese handled priest sex abuse claims

FILE - In this March 14, 2013, file photo, Chicago Cardinal Francis George speaks during an interview with the Associated Press in Rome, Italy. Internal documents showing how officials from the Archdiocese of Chicago handled allegations of child sexual abuse by priests are about to become public when victims’ attorneys post the documents to a website Tuesday morning, Jan. 21, 2014, after receiving them from the archdiocese last week as part of legal settlements. The documents are for 30 of 65 priests for whom the archdiocese says it has credible allegations. George says the disclosures are an attempt at transparency and to help victims heal. He’s also apologized to victims and area Catholics for the abuse. (AP Photo/Michael Sohn, File)
January 20, 2014 - 10:05 PM

CHICAGO - Internal documents showing how officials from the Archdiocese of Chicago handled allegations of child sexual abuse by priests are about to become public.

Victims' attorneys will post thousands of documents online Tuesday morning, about a week after receiving them from the archdiocese as part of legal settlements.

Attorneys say the documents will show the archdiocese concealed the abuse for decades, including moving priests to new parishes where they molested children again.

Cardinal Francis George says the disclosures are an attempt at transparency and a means to help victims heal. He's also apologized to victims and area Catholics for the abuse.

He's stressed the documents pertain to abuse that happened before he became archbishop.

The documents are for 30 of 65 priests for whom the archdiocese says it has credible allegations.

News from © The Associated Press, 2014
The Associated Press

  • Popular vernon News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile