Unattended candle sparks house fire in West Kelowna - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy

Unattended candle sparks house fire in West Kelowna

December 08, 2019 - 4:03 PM

No one was home when an unattended candle sparked a fire in a West Kelowna home Sunday.

Lionel Bateman, assistant fire chief with West Kelowna Fire Rescue, said two engines with a safety officer and nine firefighters responded to the call in the 3000-block of Stone Ridge Drive shortly before 1 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 8.

"Crews arrived to find a small fire on the main floor. The first arriving crew was able to quickly extinguish the fire and commence ventilation," Bateman said in a press release. "There were no occupants at home on arrival and no pets. The fire damage was minimal; however, smoke damage to the home was considerable."

Bateman urged extra care when using candles during the holiday season and suggested using battery-operated flameless candles as an alternative.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Parker Crook or call (250) 864-7494 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © iNFOnews, 2019

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile