Vernon News

Unattended candle sparks house fire in West Kelowna

FILE PHOTO

No one was home when an unattended candle sparked a fire in a West Kelowna home Sunday.

Lionel Bateman, assistant fire chief with West Kelowna Fire Rescue, said two engines with a safety officer and nine firefighters responded to the call in the 3000-block of Stone Ridge Drive shortly before 1 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 8.

"Crews arrived to find a small fire on the main floor. The first arriving crew was able to quickly extinguish the fire and commence ventilation," Bateman said in a press release. "There were no occupants at home on arrival and no pets. The fire damage was minimal; however, smoke damage to the home was considerable."

Bateman urged extra care when using candles during the holiday season and suggested using battery-operated flameless candles as an alternative.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Parker Crook or call (250) 864-7494 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 


JONESIE: What’s gotten me through the pandemic (so far)
  OPINION What’s gotten me through the pandemic? Well, thanks for asking. It’s an important question, not for me in particular, but it's something we should all share. Call them survival tactics. M
The Chase is C.C. Jentsch's highly rated red wine blend.
Wine of the Week: The Chase from C.C. Jentsch Cellars
The B.C. wine industry lost another beloved member. News of the recent passing of Chris Jentsch of C.C. Jentsch Cellars has saddened the community. Chris and his wife Betty both grew up in the Okanagan orchard industry and eventually convert

Top News